Note: I originally started this blog to record my travels when I studied abroad in Costa Rica in 2004. I've posted various ramblings since then, but I'm going back to it's original purpose as a travel journal. Since I can barely remember what I did two days ago, let alone two years ago, I've learned that I need to document my trips or I'll forget them.

Thursday, January 15, 2004

Thursday 1/16/04
Yesterday after classes we headed to the San Pedro Mall to get some dinner and catch a two-for-one deal at the movies. On the way there our taxi driver seemed to think he was playing Crazy Cab. Seriously, the drivers here are so insane. The guy actually hit another car en route but just yelled that he didn't cause any damage and drove away. I wouldn't be suprised if someone died in a car accident or crossing the street. Apparently the half the patrol cars here are out of comission because their registration stickers are out-dated. They don't even ahve the money to rerair the police cars. It's muy peligroso.

At night we went to a great Reggae club last night called Raices. Everyone from school was there and the place was packed and the music was tight. It was a cool setting to be in because although it was a reggae club, there were more white and tico people there than black. Costa Rica has a pretty big rasta community, which shouldn't have suprised me but still did. There still seems to be a lot of racism here, though people won't admit to it. It's strange to me how people can still think that way, but blacks and ticos just don't mix here. I don't think it is the matter of hate, the way it is in America. It seriously seems to be more a matter of ignorance. The black community is somewhat united but not nearly as in your face, anti-white as some aspects of the black community in America. Still, they don't really attempt to integrate with other communities as much.

Ok, must go study for my first test tomorrow. After classes though we are heading out on our first weekend excursion. ISA is taking us to Monteverde, the rain forest about five hours from San Jose. aside from the fact that out director said there might be tarantulas, scorpions and snakes in the rooms, I'm really emocionada to be going.

No comments: