Note: I originally started this blog to record my travels when I studied abroad in Costa Rica in 2004. I've posted various ramblings since then, but I'm going back to it's original purpose as a travel journal. Since I can barely remember what I did two days ago, let alone two years ago, I've learned that I need to document my trips or I'll forget them.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 11, Sunday 12/13

The morning was spent hanging out at home.  When I woke up and wandered down into the kitchen, Dan was in the middle of making waffles.  Between the three of us, we made breakfast and had some really interesting conversation on culture, the education system, living abroad, and family values.  A lot of the conversation centered around how globalization has caused people to lose sight of relationships with their community and instead created a culture of consumers, driven by materials things and who view success in those terms.

A couple of insights from Dan:

Dan is a surfer and he's been making a few of his own boards.  He talked about how sometimes he'd want to give up on the hobby if it wasn't going well for him, but he kept thinking "This next board might be the one that is amazing" so he'd give  it another try.  What  a great philosophy on life, almost a spin on George Martinez's "A no is just a no until you get a yes."

Secondly...damn, I forgot the other one!  It'll come back to me.

I'm off to shower, then head to the Plaza for some more picture taking.

No comments: