Note: I originally started this blog to record my travels when I studied abroad in Costa Rica in 2004. I've posted various ramblings since then, but I'm going back to it's original purpose as a travel journal. Since I can barely remember what I did two days ago, let alone two years ago, I've learned that I need to document my trips or I'll forget them.

Thursday, February 26, 2004

Everyday life in San Jose

I've been taking it pretty easy lately trying to spend as little money as possible since my friends are getting here in a few hours and we're gonna be vacationing for about 11 days. Yesterday I went to Cafe Expresivo with Stacy, and amazing 32 girl who's pretty chill for the most part. I love talking with older people because they have so much perspective, they've just done so much more than I have and have great stories to tell. We discussed a ton of stuff and I've been reflecting a lot on my attitude. Generally I'm a pretty uptight, bossy kind of person. In fact I've been told that I'm the bossiest person that certain people have ever met. Now, since I'm in such a tranquilo country I figured I could make use of the time to let the little things go and relax more. Generally there is no need to let so many things upset you, they just aren't worth it in the long run. That and I'm trying to change my attitude as far as hearing other people out. To all those people that I've had this issue with, I'm sorry and I'm trying, don't give up hope for me yet.

Anyhow, the Stracy and I hung out and talked for about 4 hours straight which was a nice change from the usual, come home, eat dinner, watch TV go to bed routine I've been in. The past couple of nights I haven't been sleeping well at all, I've been having stressful dreams and I'm just generally a little anxious. I know that things will resolve themselves once people get here. My new mantra in life is "Peace of heart and clarity of mind."

This past weekend I went to the Tobogan (as usual) on Friday. Saturday was spent chilling with my tica family and I took Pamela and Nicol rollerskating. Man, I've talked about this before with some people, but don't you wish you could re-create the fearlessness of childhood? I mean, I got into my skates and it took me an hour to get around the stupid rink once because I kept stopping for fear of falling on my ass. I mean here I am, a virtual giant compared to all these children whizzing by and I won't let go of the railing while 7 year old Nicol just skates off like nothing. Maybe it's because they are closer to the ground so they don't have as far to fall or something but little kids just throw fear to the wind and have fun. Lesson anyone?

Saturday night Cinea my tica aunt invited Ligia and I to a single/divoreced/widowed over thirty party. At first I was kinda skeptical but I didn't have any plans so I said why not. I have to give it to Latinos, they know how to party. It wasn't one of these drink till you are sloshed, hook up with some random person kinda party. People were friendly and open. They drank, but only a little and boy, people didn't stop dancing. Basically it was hours of people just enjoying themselves and talking, joking, and having a great time.

Sunday the four of us, plus Cinea and my abuela-tica went to the park for a picnic. Overall everyone just chilled and drank in the sun. All this time with the psuedo-familia really makes me miss my own though. However, my parents did call me to let me know that they were heading to the Spurs/Houston game that I bought them tickets to. Unfortunately for my father, the Spurs wiped the floor with the Rockets. It made me miss home less to just chill and watch the game on tv. Technically soccer is the national sport of Costa Rica but I only have enough room in my heart for one team.

No comments: