Note: I originally started this blog to record my travels when I studied abroad in Costa Rica in 2004. I've posted various ramblings since then, but I'm going back to it's original purpose as a travel journal. Since I can barely remember what I did two days ago, let alone two years ago, I've learned that I need to document my trips or I'll forget them.

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

I thought that this weekend was going to be spent relaxing and hanging out in San Jose but life had other plans for me. Friday night I met up with Halima and we went to Cafe Expresivo, my new favorite spot. We watched a theatrical Bolero group perform a highly entertaining mix of music/theater. After the show I met up with a huge group of students (and one very sexy un-student) and we went dancing. San Jose is home of this amazing salsa club called El Tobogan, if you can call it a club. It's really more of a HUGE hut with a live orchestra and the most expansive dance floor you've ever seen.
We stayed and danced the night away.

At 8AM Shari called me to ask if I wanted to go to the beach, so I got my lazy butt out of bed and packed. We were originally going to go with a group of guys to Cahuita on the Carribean coast but ended up going to the Pacific coast with Shari's tico brother, who was going on business. This guy is a business man but he could be a politician for all the people he knew. We stopped by someone's house and had lunch, then cruised around in his AVT. The guy knew everyone, everywhere.

In the morning we went to the beach where we met these cool surfer guys. They lent us their boards and gave us a mini lesson in return for Jorge lending them his cell phone. I only went out once and ended up nose diving into the water but hey, the waves were bad. lol. Surfing is very hard but very fun. After a morning of beach we headed back. I noticed I was a little burnt but thought nothing of it. Holy hell, on the way home I realized I was cooked. Jorge, like all Costa Ricans, is very nice and friendly on dry land but put him behind the wheel and he becomes a cursing, finger throwing, tailgatting punk. It's a national condition.

Anyhow somewhere along the bumpy dirt roads and the curves he was taking at 50 miles an hour, I realized I was pretty damaged. We finally got home at midnight and I spent all of yesterday trying to move as little as possible and slathering aloe vera on my shoulders.

No comments: